Skip to main content

EXCEPT FROM THE RETREAT BY Aiyegbusi Ololade

 Hello everyone, my apologies for the long absence πŸ™ I have been preoccupied with studies for my Master's degree program πŸŽ“ as well as other personal issues. During this time, I have been working on a pet project πŸ˜‚ πŸ’ƒ

I hope to have it published as a novel when I am done. Before that happens, enjoy this long except from the story πŸ˜‚πŸ˜˜πŸ˜‰




"Thank you" said Lara when they were alone.

"Don't mention it" he replied quietly.

"I need to go, but I'll be back soon. I'll tell Zara to -"

"Please don't tell her." Lara interrupted sitting up quickly.

Malik frowned looking confused.

"Why?" He asked

I don't want her to worry about something so trivial." She replied

"Too late. I already sent her a text, and I'm sure she's on her way here" he replied checking his phone.

"Great!! She's probably panicking" Lara said standing up. She went to the window to look out, the sun was very bright. She had a ton of work to do, plus she needed to get out of here. Since her grandma’s death two decades ago, hospitals gave her the creeps.

She adjusted her clothing and slung her bag over her shoulder.

"Woah, what do you think you are doing?" Malik said standing up from his chair.

"I am going to my room. I have some important calls to make and….”

"Are you kidding? You heard the doctor, you need to rest" said Malik cutting in

"And I will do that later but right now I….."

"You are not going anywhere" Malik said blocking her way.

Trying to control her anger, Lara folded her arms across her chest and looked at Malik squarely.

"Look, I really appreciate what you did for me and all, but you can't tell me what to do." She said fuming.

"O yes I can, now lay down" Malik replied pointing to the bed

"Don't you dare talk to me like that, I am not a child" she replied vehemently

"Well stop behaving like one" he said angrily

"You are not the boss of me, and-"

"Lay down Lara" said Malik. His voice was low and cold. Though he sounded very angry and dangerous, and Lara knew she had stretched his patience way past its limit, she had had it with his arrogance. What made him think he could talk to her like that?

"I don't take orders from you Malik" Lara said gritting her teeth

"O yea?" he sneered

"Yea, and I am not afraid of you either" she said in defiance

"Well, you should be" he replied moving close to her.                                 


********


Lara's heart skipped a beat. The atmosphere was suddenly different. When did it change from anger to desire? She leaned against the wall. She couldn't step away because he chose that time to rest his hands on the wall trapping her between them. They were so close she could feel his heart race against her’s. His dark, hypnotic eyes reflected desire. Her pulse raced as she dragged her gaze down to his lips and swallowed nervously.


Although Malik knew kissing Lara was a bad idea, he was past caring. No woman had ever stretched his patience this far. Her behaviour infuriated and intrigued him. He had wanted to shake her for being childish and stubborn, but as he closed the space between them, all he could see was her soft lips.

Her lips parted slightly as he leaned close to her, while her eyes fluttered close as his lips hovered over hers slightly before capturing it in a kiss.

It was like savouring a dollop of caramel chocolate ice-cream; soft sweet, decadent and addictive.

He had decided to pull away after a second, but instead, found himself spanning her waist with his hands and drawing her more into himself. Things had always been this way between them; their passion, intense and consuming; wild and unpredictable.


Lara couldn't believe what she was doing; or letting herself do. Instead of pushing Malik away and slapping him senseless, she was cradling his head and enjoying his kisses. Giving as much as he was; with equal intensity. She was playing a dangerous game. Not only was she making out with Malik, they were doing so at a public place.

But her better sense of judgement was recessive against her raging hormones. She clutched his biceps for support as he bit her neck softly. She bit her lip to stifle a cry.


"What the hell is going on here?" a voice shrieked from the doorway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"I HEART YOU" : local or endearing?

Let me start by stating that I mean no disrespect to anyone but I have to ask, what is with this common phrase "I heart you?" Is it because of the general miconception that love exists in our hearts? Or because society has tagged the heart as the birth, growth and resting place of love? What about the other school of thought that believes love exists in our brain? After all, memories of your beloved is stored in your brain, so please where does the "I heart you" phrase come to play? Many will argue with me and say that the racing of our hearts when our beloved is closeby, justifys the phrase. If that is so, then I guess those who subscribe to the belief of butterflies in our tummy should be allowed to coin theirs? How will you react if someone says "I stomach you?" I don't know about you, but thoughts of little Red Riding Hood swallowed by the wolf will be my impression plus an obvious look of surprise followed immediately by horror. That is if I d

LOVE ....... butterflies, electricity or simply the word itself?

                                      LOVE!!!          A word that means different things to different people. Some get bitten by its bug at first sight, some much later, while some never even sight it in a million live times. I once knew someone who believed that when you love someone, you argue like old couples but have fun like teenage besties.          A lot of people mix love with lust or obsession. My definition of lust is pure animal attraction to beauty and sex appeal, while that of obsession is a compulsive emotion whereby a person's feelings and thoughts are controlled by a desire. A fair amount of us over think and analyse love. We are ruled by society's ideals and beliefs on what love means, what it should be and how it should feel. We need to relax and realize that   " love is just love "